While in Norway a couple years ago, I took a keen interest in Africa. As much of the research I had done in school focused mostly on the West, I began to see that even most 'international' news coverage I saw was confined to reporting on where the US and Canada were interfering with other nations.
Africa gets the shaft worse than any other continent I know. The level of colonization, combikned with the collective denial that it ever occurred and benefited US and Canadian development, I find astounding.
While taking an interest in African states (which may I add are extremely culturally, economically, and geographically diverse) I came across what was, at the time, shocking information about the Congo. That it was the site of the greatest loss of war deaths since either WW2 or ever.
I wrote a story outlining Canada's role in the killings of nearly 4 million people, which will hopefully get into print some day. In the meantime, here's a related article in WSWS.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment