Wednesday, June 13, 2007

CSS vs. Richards on Richards

Apologies for the lack of posts. I am now working in the land of the living (day shift), am trying to finish 2 years of taxes and Sharmeen has been in town.

Last week I went to one of the most split shows I've been to in a long time. Richards on Richards sucks. It has earned my eternal condemnation for all around crappiness as far as venues. If I can avoid a show there in the future I will. Mediocre bands will no longer be worth the time. Only sure things will be worth it from now on.

Opening band Bonde del Role was sick. Replacement band Bus Driver was stopped at the border. You'd think Dicks on Dicks would be able to scrape together some reasonable half hour opening show, but you'd be wrong. No, they had some half-assed DJ on for the entire 2 hours previous I was there and a sign on the door saying "no refunds". A drink they served me was in a broken glass. No one could tell me when CSS was playing. I brought a backpack but for some eason they decided they didn't need a coatcheck so, cause it was raining, everyone was standing around with an umbrella. These two lecherous dancing fools kept dancing around me, probably cause I could actually dance and wasn't macking on women. Some asshole stuck-up women stole a CD from the Brazilian merch woman, and she went ballistic: chokehold, right hooks, tackling people to the ground. It was a bad and ugly scene.

CSS on the other hand put on a low-budget, minor-frills rock-a-thon of epic proportions. Standing on the amps, rockin out hard, stage diving, blowin bubbles, switching up instruments, letting people on stage, playing their full album, new songs and a three song encore that ended with their big hit and a long drawn out climactic "bang, bang, bang...bang...bang...........BOOM!"

A solid and stunning rock show totally fucked up by a poorly run venue and a stuck-up hipster crowd.

5 out of 10.

No comments: