My recent absence in blogging has been due to travel. Sorry.
Last week while in Courtenay I got to see an interesting portrait of my mother. On a ride back to the ferry we talked quite a bit about my confidence level and how I get it from my Dad. My mom says that my Dad was pretty cocky in his youth and it often brushed off in his first impressions with people. But often, so says mom, people would eventually warm up to him realizing he wasn' such a conceited ass...I often go through the same process when people meet me.
It was a strange conversation that I had never been prone to. My mom said she felt I got my will to help people (read: martyrdom) from her, while she offered basic insights into my parents life I had never really considered could exist. Like how after my dad quit his job he found it really difficult to find work in the unions, making his confidence suffer and turning quite bitter. I'm not sure if it's just her point of view but I never really looked at my parents as being capable of that kind of human emotion...especially my dad. The guy is like concrete.
Anyways, the blogging should be pretty sparse for the next few weeks: I'm in Toronto at the moment having a well-deserved break from my life with Sharmeen. Last night we saw Adult. Good music/bad singer.
Next week I'm on the sunshine coast explaining to one of my oldest friends how a guy we knew in high school is now at my shelter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment