Thursday, April 5, 2007

BC's Bastards

Strange offspring are coming out of BC these days.

Rachel Marsden, the woman who falsely accused a SFU swim coach of sexually harassing her, stalked about 4 other staff and faculty members, destroyed roughly 3 careers and put a black mark on the face of feminists who come to the defense of women who have bee sexually assaulted, is now working in the only place I can properly imagine: as a commentator for Fox news. In addition she's apparently commenting on women who falsely accuse men sexual harassment as well. Reading this story, if this women ever was in the same room as me, I'd demand she b removed or I would leave.

Meanwhile, though this is old news, because I bitch about homelessness so much I could not resist commenting on the recent acquisition by the BC government of 10 SRO hotels. Essentially, it will stop the bleeding which has been occurring for the last 2 years. Protecting the current level of hotels means that for the time being, people will not continue to be thrown on the streets (unless the government decides to act like a bunch a fuckos and through them out anyways). The BC government deserves Kudos for one reason on this one: they set up a dummy corporation to buy the hotels. If they had declared it the hotels would have jacked the prices 3 fold.

Now the bad news. Because rents are still shooting up sky-high, people are still being tossed on the streets and the homeless population is exploding. Unless the government starts building low income units in various places around Vancouver like, 3 years ago, the homeless population is still gunna creep up. In addition, unless the BC Libs have really undergone a sea change in caring for people, these hotels are still bedbug ridden holes in the wall.

But as it always turns out...some offspring turn out well no matter what their upbringing. Looks like Big Tobacco in BC is one step closer to getting its ass sued. As a government wonk, I've been wanting this for years. The health costs by smoking are mind-boggling. I'm just waiting for the bankruptcies to begin. Also, in it's continuing saga of getting raked over the coals, the Vancouver city counsel is now having to deal with the fallout of cutting funding for a DERA position.

"Vancouver's director of social planning, Mary Claire Zak, says the council decision was unprecedented, and there was no reason to cut the funding."

No comments: