On the day when the Canadian Liberal party does a seat swap for the first time in its history with Elizabeth May and the Greens, I have heard twice in the last couple hours about a resurgence of climate change denial.
One was at an advisory meeting for Fred Bass' mayoral bid. I am now helping out with that campaign, so we'll see where that goes...you should be hearing about that in the future. One of Fred's campaign pledges is environmental concern. It was nice to see that the people in room had a reasonable race analysis in their environmentalism as well, that I was not the only young person there. It was sad that we were all white though. My non-partner Sharmeen once imparted the idea of white people talking about their whiteness, in situation like this. I'll have to bring this up at some point. I'd like to bring in some folks of colour to Fred's campaign. I'm happy to finally be part of a party though my friend Dave laughed considerably that I've gone from 'member' to 'adviser to potential mayor' in 2 months. Ha.
Anyways, the Dominion interviewed a climate change denier and he actually said some rather cool stuff, though I'm not sure I believe his scientific stance:
"I argue that there is no reliable evidence that the global average Earth surface temperature has increased in recent decades.
More importantly, I argue that the real threat (the most destructive force on the planet) is power-driven financiers and profit-driven corporations and their cartels backed by military might and that you cannot control a monster by asking it not to shit as much. I argue that non-democratic control of the economy and institutionalized exploitation of the Third World (and all workers) must be confronted directly if we are to install sanity."
In other news, the Vatican is suing Indymedia and Kurt Vonnegut has died. I had an old girlfriend who used to be really into his books and have very recentl started reading "Breakfast of Champions".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
interesting post. would like to see how that goes. i think that a discussion on the whiteness (and maleness, although they had a great deal of female leaders) of COPE would be useful, but often people suggest tokenistic solutions. And rather than plan how you can get more people of colour involved, I think taking stock of anti-racist needs is probably important. I remember you asking me why I don't get involved, and for me, I would support something that was clearly anti-racist or spoke to the concerns of people or First Nations.
back to the journal...
Post a Comment