Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Things we forget (or didn't know about)

Great News coming out of Al-Jazzera today:

They have a good investigative journalist story about the "for-profit" nature of the Pakistani military. I'm all for innovative ways of the state making revenue, but talk about a military-industrial-congressional complex (the pres is also head of the military).

Meanwhile the 40th anniversary celebrations of Che Guevera are underway. I'm surprised by how popular he is in most of Latin America. I guess Cuba, Angola, South Africa, Bolivia and Venezuala make sense for me however I'm surprized that he's also getting props in Argentina and Brazil. I know he biked all over South America but I never knew he held such sway across the continent.

Finally, a story on West-Timor's crisis has me reminicsing. I tell a number of people I've been to Timor, and they always think I mean East-Timor, but the land border was closed when I was there in 2001. I was actually in the poor and ramshackle Western part which was still recovering from brutal war. Most of the population was pissed off and miserable and my recent viewing of Kabul in the the movie Kabul Transit at the VIFF reminded me of what that part of the country looked like. Hats off to Al-Jazeera for focusing on it.

No comments: