Sunday, March 25, 2007

Dee-nyed - Snoop Dogg (feat. Taner Akcam)

So Snoop wasn't allowed a visa into the UK the other day and seems pretty baffled by it. However Taner Akcam, a prolific writer on Turkey's Genocide practices against Armenians during 1915, was not as baffled when he was detained without evidence or a reason for his detention at Trudeau International Airport in February.

It seems as if the US and Canada have been getting some stellar information from Turkish Nationalists who are trying to paint this guy a terrorist. It's interesting reading for those who wonder what it's like to be held up at the airport without charge.

Elsewhere, I nearly crapped my pants 2 days ago when I read that Iran had taken 15 Britons into custody. They are claiming that they were in Iranian waters and of course the Uk is denying like crazy and demanding the soldiers release. I anticipated that this was all made up to spark a full blown war by the US, but I'm not hearing the war cries yet. Instead, in their diplomatic wisdom, the EU has demanded they be released, while the UN has chosen brillant timing to place further sanctions on Iran. I also anticipated that any escalation against Iran was gunna royally piss them off and lead to an increase in the price of oil. I got that one right.

In some really sad news, my beloved orangutans are 5 years away from extiction. Strangely, this was the exact time frame offered to me by Indonesian locals in Borneo roughly 6 years ago. Apart from poaching and slash and burn cultivation, the real culprit has tunred out to be rampant capitalism. Palm oil plantations, which did in the orangutans in Malaysia, have spread like wildfire through Indonesia as it attempts to be #2 in palm oil production. The flat, fertile swamp lands mean the orangutan gets the shaft in lieu of cultivation.

At least free trade deals between the US and Malaysia seem to be falling through.

And on a positive note, I wrote about how cool it would be for sports icons to get involved politically. Though the Canucks still haven't come out against the Olympics, highway expansion, or homelessness, Jocks-for-justice are a group of sports people urging for the release of a guy framed for murder in 1976. Go team, go!

No comments: