Friday, May 18, 2007

The Old Black

It seems foreign workers, working on the Canada line, are getting screwed, surprise, surprise! "The union claims the employer raised the salaries to induce foreign workers to sign a collective agreement below local labour standards. By unilaterally doubling the wages the company was able to set the wage rather than having to negotiate with the union."

Vancouver city bureaucrats are going through some rough union issues as well, and though I'm not crying over their fat paychecks the tactics being used sound damn nasty. While Vancouver is booming "the employer has aggressively attacked union wage and working conditions with a proposed wage freeze for some of the lowest paid workers, reduction of sick pay and vacations among other take-aways."

Meanwhile, Grand Chief Phil Fontaine, by no means a radical or path-breaking kinda guy, is warning that the first-nations day of action that I've mentioned before may get confrontational. I.e. the blockades and standoffs are a com'in.

On a lighter note, Mumia Abu-Jamal might finally get freed! Or executed.

While this woman and this headline: "Feminist, socialist, devout Muslim: woman who has thrown Denmark into turmoil"; kick ass.

No comments: